Tigers Martial Arts Program
ABOUT THE TIGERS PROGRAM
Welcome to the award-winning Synergy Tigers Program!
At Synergy we are deeply passionate about teaching martial arts and self defence to kids and teens. Not only is self defence an important skill, but the discipline, confidence and character that martial arts teaches sets young people up for their future.
The Tigers Program has several key components and skill areas that are taught and practiced. These include:
- PHYSICAL – fitness, coordination, strength, flexibility, agility and more
- TECHNICAL – footwork, striking combos, kicking, wrestling, ground work
- SELF DEFENCE – awareness, confidence, tactics, and non-violent responses to confrontations
AGE SPECIFIC PROGRAMS
Our Tigers program has been awarded Top 25 most popular activity several times, including #6 Most Popular activity in Canberra and #1 Most Popular activity in Tuggeranong for 2022.
Tiny Tigers (4 to 6 years) – Focusing on gross motor skills and instilling the basics of martial arts including discipline and focus. Our drills are taught in a fun, age-appropriate way while providing the building blocks for further development.
Tigers (7 to 13 years) – We work on fine tuning techniques and introduce more complex drills including boxing and grappling. We focus on self defence using martial arts skills and building self-confidence in our students.
Black Tigers (13 to 17 years) – At this age we teach skills in all areas of MMA. We continue to work on building self-confidence in these teens, and incorporate more strength and fitness into their classes. These students work on the same drills and combinations that our adults do, making the transition to the adult MMA class seamless and less daunting.
Classes are held every during ACT school term at the times below:
Tuesday 5pm – 5.30pm
Saturday 9.15am – 9.45am
Tuesday 5.30pm – 6.15 pm
Saturday 8.30am – 9.15am
Tuesday and Thursdays 6.15pm – 7.15pm
Interested? Get in touch
Meet our Tigers Head Coach Kerstin
Kerstin Oberprieler joined Synergy as our Tigers Head Coach in 2020. Kerstin has been studying martial arts for 20 years and has taught children, teenagers and adults for over 15 years. She brings experience, passion and energy to our program and is supported by a excellent team of coaches and helpers to provide a quality training experience.
Some of Kerstin’s achievements include:
Black belt rankings
• 5th Dan Taekwondo
• 4th Dan Kyusho Jitsu
• 1st Dan Kenpo Karata
• Blue belt Brazilian Jujitsu
• Kung Fu, white shirt
• 5 x Australian representative in Taekwondo
• Silver medallist at Commonwealth Taekwondo Union
• State and National Champion in Sparring, Poomsae and Board Breaking
• Coach for Australian Taekwondo Team in 2010
• State and National Poomsae official and judge
• Australian National University Half Blue Sports Award 2009 and Full Blue Sports Award 2010
• Young Canberran of the Year 2009 nomination and Young Canberra of the Year Group Award for teaching martial arts to the community
• Secretary for the Kyusho Australia Board
• Member of the National Taekwondo Australia Technical Committee
• State Technical Director for Australian Capital Territory
• Kerstin has achieved her PhD in psychology, design, and gamification